The little Ponfa pram restoration started soon after we had taken it out of its travelling box from the USA.
It had a wobbly wheel which we discovered when dismantling the pram, this was due to the wheel shaft being bent. In the following photo you can see which wheel is wobbly (top left) - it leaned in on one side to the chassis and also seemed much more unstable on the shaft than the others.
|the chassis and wheels before restoration|
|The alignment of the chassis needed correcting|
|The other side of the chassis wasn't quite so out of alignment but still needed some straightening|
The wheels are amazing - they have real spokes which when bent do actually make a difference to the shape and tracking of the wheel, they have real rubber tyres. I was fortunate, the tyres on my pram, though having some tiny splits in places, were actually in very good condition and did not need replacing (it is a job which costs a lot as they have to be custom made). The wheels are fitted on wheel shafts with miniature hub caps keeping them in place.
|a side view of the chassis with wheels still on - these are fitted in place with hub caps|
|The hub cap for one of the wheels, showing the inside of the cap which push fits onto the shaft. Due to the type of metal of the caps, these should not be removed and refitted too often or they will split.|
|The wobbly wheel with the hub cap removed|
The bent wheel shaft needed some careful attention with pliers and a bench vice to get it straight.
|The bent wheel shaft which was causing the wobbly wheel|
|The wobbly wheel, hub cap and washer which gave some spacing between the wheel and the chassis|
|The wobbly wheel and chassis|
My husband reshaped the chassis carefully so that the pram body hung properly on its four straps and did not scrape the sides anymore. I cleaned up the chassis paintwork with gentle filing on a couple of paint bubbles and silicone carbide sandpaper.
The hood distortion had resulted in the hood fabric being slightly ripped by one of the chromed steel side brackets, which had rough edges on the inside. So the debate started straight away about whether to attempt to restore the torn fabric (only the outside weave was torn, the inside weave was intact and the lining was in perfect condition). The apron was missing, the seller did not recall it having an apron and I knew that if I decided to make an apron it would be almost impossible to source fabric which matched the hood. I attempted to glue the torn fabric back to its inner weave, but this was only partially successful so I started to hunt for fabrics online.
|Side view of the pram body with the hood up, showing the damage to the hood fabric caused by the inside of the hood bracket|
|Close up of the damaged hood fabric with the bracket still in place|
|The damaged hood from above, showing how the distance between the fabric and the bracket was causing the damage|
|The other side view of the pram body with hood up and undamaged fabric|
|View of the side hood bracket which was the correct curved shape|
|The underside of the pram body showing the shafts holding the leather straps|
|A shaft rod, hub caps, washers and leather straps with their metal loops|
|Unscrewing the pram handle - these were held in place with 4 nuts and bolts|
|Removing the pram handle|
|Unscrewing a nut from a bolt holding the hood in place.|
|Removing the hood from the body, this photo shows the four holes for the bolts which support the hood|
|Adjusting the wheel spokes on the wobbly wheel|
For the other parts in this restoration process see
Ponfa pram restoration - Part 1
Ponfa pram restoration - Part 3
Ponfa pram restoration - Part 4
Ponfa pram restoration - Part 5
The contents of this blog post has been created and shared using a Creative Commons ShareAlike Non-commercial licence which means others can remix, tweak and build upon this work non-commercially as long as they credit me and licence their new creations under the identical terms. If you reuse any part of this blog post including photos or text please use the following attribution to credit me: CC BY-NC-SA by DollMum http://dollmum.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/ponfa-pram-restoration-part-2.html
For more information about Creative Commons licences see https://creativecommons.org/