Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 December 2020

Advent Calendar Day 15

The pocket for Day 15 of my elder daughter's Advent Calendar contained the return to hand made gifts and a very special item. 

She is a singer and has sung in choirs since the age of 8, now singing in York Minster choir as a choral scholar. Her late uncle, my red-haired brother, was a head chorister as a child in St George's Cathedral Cape Town, where I grew up, and the 15 December this year was both the second anniversary of his death from cancer and our 30th wedding anniversary (our wedding was in the Cathedral, my brother took my late rather's role for me at the wedding). So the gift had to reflect all those family connections and of course her vibrant long auburn hair. 

The pocket picture gave no clue about its musical contents as it was a pile of presents.

Day 15 pocket

I knitted a miniature chorister/choral scholar Christmas decoration for her. The pattern was from a book of knitting patterns ('We knit you a merry Christmas', Debbie Harrold, ISBN 978-1-90844-921-4, pages 16-17), but I scaled it down by knitting on finer needles with 2 ply wool than the double knit recommended in the pattern. 

Knitted choral scholar Christmas decoration

Knitted choral scholar smiling as she sings

Side view of the knitted choral scholar

Side view of the knitted choral scholar

Back view of the knitted choral scholar

She was overwhelmed by the little character and was struck dumb for a short while as she examined her carefully and took in the personal significance. I am glad she was able to sing Evensong in the Minster today, where she lit a candle for her uncle.

No comments: