The re-rooting was done by Pam and the long black hair braided in 204 tiny plaits (3 plugs of hair to each plait) by Janet, who also repainted the doll's eyes.
I sent Janet some photos of all my shweshwe fabric pieces in various colour combinations with plain fabrics. Laying out and playing with my various fat quarters of the different colours and patterns was fun. I had a strong feeling that Janet would choose the combination she did, which was 2 shweshwe patterns (green/yellow/black swirls and brown with yellow/orange spot patterns) and 3 plain fabrics (mid green, brown and yellow). All the previous versions of the dress I've sewn have only had 2 plain colours not 3. We discussed what I would do with this combination and as a result, the skirt of the sundress was lengthened to encompass plain bands of colours between the 2 different patterns.
Once I had nearly finished the outfit and was making the tassels, I thought about making a pair of sandals on the chance that I would manage to make my first pair of shoes for a Sasha doll, and secondly that Janet might like them. I adapted the sandals pattern in the Sasha Dolls Clothing book as I was making the shoes in fabric not leather and wanted to use a different type of fastening - braided cords rather than straps and loop buckles. These were inspired partly by my younger daughter making friendship bracelets from wool for a forthcoming Girl Guiding trip. I wanted to use the colours of the tassels on the brettels of the sundress in the braids. I wove the sandal braids using a kumihimo loom made of corrugated cardboard.
|The kumihimo braiding nearly completed, using 2 different greens, 2 different yellows and brown (7 threads altogether)|
|Completed shweshwe fabric sandals with kumihimo braids and leather soles|
|The leather soles before I name stamped them|
|The sandals and underpants|
|The sandals with their soles name stamped|
Fortunately Janet liked the sandals so they were added to the commission and posted with the outfit after Florence modelled it for her alongside Melanie wearing the original shweshwe sundress I had sewn a few months ago when I made the Studio size version of the dress for Dorisanne's Emmalee Rose.
|Florence and Melanie in the shweshwe sundresses, Florence wearing Janet's special commission|
|The hat is double sided, with different fabrics on each side|
|Back view of the dress, hat and sandals|
|Hat, underpants and sandals|
|The complete outfit with the matching sandals, front view of the dress|
|The complete outfit with the matching sandals, back view of the dress, with the other side of the hat|
The following are Janet's photos of Lindiwe, with her wonderful braids and eye painting, wearing her new shweshwe outfit.
|side view of Lindiwe wearing her new dress and sandals|
|Lindiwe in her new dress, sandals and hat|
|Showing off her sandals|
|Lindiwe holding her hat|
|Melanie wearing the 16" doll sized outfit and her shoes from Dorisanne alongside the 20" doll sized outfit for Emmalee Rose.|
|The day before the SCW my Florence modelled the Raffle outfit I made while Melanie wore the dress I had previously made to match the 20" Studio doll outfit for Emmalee Rose|
|At the 2018 SCW: Melanie in her shweshwe outfit, Laura's studio doll Sela in her sundress and hat I'd made as a prototype, Laura's Jackie in her new raffle outfit and baby Nina playing with her abacus|
|Louisa, my toddler, wearing her version of the dress for Christmas|
Florence wearing the dress for Janet's doll, with Melanie in her own dress. The same plain green fabric was used in both dresses.