It was quite a complex dress to sew, there were various stages which absolutely had to be followed in order otherwise the dress would not have worked, and it took me some time of studying the pattern and instructions before I had worked out what to do. I had the added complexity of working out which fabric combinations would work together best and how much of each pattern or plain fabric I actually had available. The dress is 2 layered - it has a full underskirt and an apron/pinafore type skirt (using the same pattern pieces) over the top. My photos don't show that it has a bow at the back of the bodice. I made the underskirt all in the same fabric and the overskirt was decorated with three of the Mary Engelbreit fabrics and a decorative ribbon. The shoulder straps were meant to be cut to shape fabric however I opted to use the same wide golden coloured ribbon I used for the bow.
The bottom of each skirt is decorated with gathered fabric frills one of which I edged using a scallop stitch (I love my new sewing machine, it has so many decorative stitch choices).
The skirt is the kind of cut that floats out when spun around, much to my daughter's delight.
My girl wore the dress to church on Mothering Sunday which is when these photos were taken, however I have been entirely occupied in the evenings with a major voluntary project so have only just had time to edit the photos and write this post 3 weeks later.
|Feliz party dress with Mary Engelbreit fabric|
|close up of the outer skirt (the inner skirt is pale yellow)|
|Cutting flowers for our Easter Day table arrangement|