The next stage of the Ponfa pram restoration job was perfectly timed for late summer when we had some dry days which were not too breezy. The respraying of the pram had to take place out of doors.
I used silicone carbide paper to carefully sand down the body work and a metal file to remove a couple of paint bubbles from the wheels and spokes to prepare for painting. I also applied Kurust to the spots on the body where the paint had been scratched away, I couldn't see any rust but just wanted to be sure. The Kurust only turns black on contact with rust, otherwise it remains orange brown. The chassis received the same treatment and proved to have very little rust.
|The brown marks are where I painted Kurust on the spots on the pram body just in case there was any rust where the paint had scratched off|
I masked off the Ponfa pram label as I did not want it covered in paint. The respraying of the pram body, chassis and wheel hubs was done in many short batches of spraying to provide an even coat with no bubbles or runs. I also sanded down between some layers of paint with a piece of silicone carbide paper to smooth the surface. The parts for repainting would be propped in different positions for each stage so that each surface received paint. The paint was quick drying so I was usually able to add another layer every 15 minutes or so, with light sanding approximately every 4 layers.
|The pram body in the respraying box during one of the final stages of respraying|
|The wheels after respraying, I was just starting to remove the masking tape when I decided to get the camera|
|The resprayed wheels before removing the masking tape from the tyres|
I lost count of the number of spray layers which were needed to paint the pram body, chassis and wheels or the number of times I gently sanded the surface smooth, however eventually I was satisfied with the finish and was able to remove the masking tape.
|The pram handle showing that where the bolt holes are the handle splayed outwards, it also sprung tightly against the body of the pram and needed slight reshaping so it wouldn't scratch the paintwork when it was refitted.|
|A closer photo of one side of the pram handle bolt fittings|
|A close up of the beautifully shaped bolt hole positions before the rough edges were filed smooth|
|A view from above the bolt holes showing the slightly protruding sharp edges|
For the other parts in this restoration process see
Ponfa pram restoration - Part 1
Ponfa pram restoration - Part 2
Ponfa pram restoration - Part 3
Ponfa pram restoration - Part 5
The contents of this blog post has been created and shared using a Creative Commons ShareAlike Non-commercial licence which means others can remix, tweak and build upon this work non-commercially as long as they credit me and licence their new creations under the identical terms. If you reuse any part of this blog post including photos or text please use the following attribution to credit me: CC BY-NC-SA by DollMum http://dollmum.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/ponfa-pram-restoration-part-4.html
For more information about Creative Commons licences see https://creativecommons.org/